Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Kink and the Medical Community

A really good article about the medical community and kink. I've been lucky enough to have known some very sex-positive and open-minded doctors. Here's to hoping everyone is so lucky:

Doctors should pay more attention to their kinky patients. Here’s why.

When it comes to conversing about sex, medical professionals are often uncomfortable. I can’t count the number of times that my peers and I have been chastised for failing to elicit a sexual history. When we think a medical issue is unrelated to sex, it can feel awkward and like a waste of time to bring it up. But it’s usually the medical professional who feels uncomfortable — not the patient. In my first year of medical school, I interviewed a patient with a spinal cord injury who used a motorized wheelchair to get around. When I finally asked about her sexual history, she thanked me: 'I love it when I’m asked about sex. No one ever does because they think I don’t have sex. But it’s an important part of my life.' ”




No comments:

Post a Comment